Sunday, July 18, 2010

Fix the Attitude

What do I feel is a major deterrent in whether or not a person will begin their flight training and finish? Attitude. Not just the attitude of the person learning to fly, although that is extremely important, but I'm talking about the influences around the person. The pilots he/she comes into contact with whenever they are at the airport. As much as working behind a desk stinks compared to flying, it still never ceases to open my eyes. And while I sit and wait for what seems an endless amount of time, I can't help but analyze attitudes - my own and that of others.

So maybe you can tell me: what is it with all pilots? Why do we walk around with a chip on our shoulder? It's like we walk around projecting the fact that we're so much better than everyone else, and that no one should dare to contest that. I can't seem to figure out why I instantly don't like 90% of pilots I come across. Is it the fact that I am just like them, and therefore think I'm better? Or am I one of the few with a better attitude. I honestly can't say.

What I can say is we should all work on our attitude. There is always talk about getting more people to fly, to open the world to those yet to discover the passion that is aviation. I almost feel like we're doing the exact opposite. Who wants to be like someone they feel is arrogant, proud, or belligerent?

The fact that I sit behind the front desk in an FBO gives me a clue into maybe what the world of aviation is like to those who have always been interested but maybe have never taken that next step. Whenever a pilot comes in (this is a usual scenario, there are some exceptions), they assume I know nothing about flying, they have no idea I'm a flight instructor and that I've been around aviation for several years (short but long enough). I cannot say how many times I've been talked down to or been treated in such a demeaning way it felt embarrassing to stare at the person. I don't want this to be a pity party on me, but rather, a wake up call. Stop treating people like they're "oh so lower than thee". They're not. You never know, maybe your impression is the one that will make them decide and say, "hey, aviation is great" or "wow, the people in aviation are stuck up".

So I'll be working on keep my attitude in check, and hopefully we can all do the same.

To first impressions and good attitudes,
Up in the Air

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers