Sunday, May 2, 2010

English Anyone?

I cannot say how many times I've said something over and over again to my students. At the end of it all, they just don't catch on sometimes. We all know there's lots going on...I've got to work on my patience. I know I was the same way.

Me: "Add a little back pressure."
Student: Intently staring outside
Me: "Add a little back pressure."
Student: Nods head a little (His hands?: Motionless)
Me: "How are we looking?"
Student: Staring outside

Sometimes you just have to have a laugh, and keep at it.

Or...

Me: "How are we looking right now?"
Student: "Good"
Me: "Are we a little high?"
Student: "Yes, I think so."

*seconds pass, no action*

Me: "How do we look now?"
Student: "Good"

If we're high do you think you should do anything about it? Why are you frozen like a deer in the headlights? I'm right there, if they're wrong to the point of making the flight unsafe, I will take over...there's really nothing to lose in trying to fix what you think is wrong. That's how we learn, but yet, nothing.

I work for Allegiant Airlines on the side, and I cannot believe sometimes how silly people are (I'm not saying I'm any less silly than the other person...I know I am far from that, but it's definitely a unique perspective to be on the receiving end...) We sometimes post a sign saying the flight is an hour late. Passengers who are checking in will read the sign and proceed to ask, "So is the flight late? Does that mean we'll be late getting into [insert destination here]?" My thoughts (I dare not say them): "Did you read the sign? Do you think you'll magically appear on time?" Later on, at the gate, I make a boarding call for rows 25 and higher. I'm not kidding you, people will walk up and hand us something for as close as row 24 or as far away as 5 or 10. Do you know which numbers come after 25? Really...it's not that hard. Better yet, at the end of the boarding call I like to tag on "your id's are not required". We checked them at the counter, and TSA checked them before you came to the secure area, so do I really need to see it now? No...and yet, despite our multiple calls and statements regarding not seeing id's, they still come...every time. We're taking our lucky dragon to the flights now (if you've seen How to Train Your Dragon and have kids who get kids' meals at McD's then you'll know what I'm talking about). Any way, it seems to ward off the silly questions...although not entirely.

Well, that's it for me and my ranting.

'Night all,
Up in the Air

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers