Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Mount Rushmore

When I was doing my training for my Commercial Certificate I had to do quite a bit of cross country time, so I ended up doing a long one to Mount Rushmore. I had never been to Rushmore, and wanted to see it - it would be pretty cool to say I'd seen it from the air, although I had never even stepped foot in South Dakota. So, at the request of my fiance, who was wondering if I would keep adding pictures, here's a few from the trip.


Beaver Lake, ND


Crossing the Missouri River - a couple hours to go and I had to go to the bathroom pretty bad.


Despite the fact that there really isn't much to see in North Dakota and South Dakota, some sights really are gorgeous. At least in this one I was getting into the Badlands-looking area! :) Sorry to those native to North or South Dakota, I really don't mean to be negative, I'm just a spoiled west coast girl.


Hills! Mountains! Trees! How long has it been since I've seen you? This was as close to home as I could get, and oh was it nice.


I have yet to lays on Mount Rushmore from the ground, but it is a nice sight from the air! If you fly there, ask for the Rushmore tour, ATC is glad to help you out.


Looking back from whence I came.


Getting back into the flatlands...exciting...really, I mean it...


Home. Flatlands. The happenin' place to be.

I learned some important lessons on this flight. #1 Never ever have anything to drink 2 hours prior to a long flight. The same rules of a car do not apply, there's no guaranteed pit stops or car door to block a view. If you stop at an airport in the middle of nowhere you will most likely be using the tarmac as a bathroom, and that's no fun if it's in the open. Besides, you probably won't make too many folks happy if you're caught. #2 Never tell anyone from South Dakota there are no mountains there. They'll probably be as mad as I am when someone says California doesn't get snow. #3 Always bring along some form of entertainment. What did I have to do while I was thinking about that bathroom break that I would soon be awarded? Nothing. Oh, an I-Pod would have been nice, or perhaps XM Satellite radio. Either way, it was still a fun trip, despite the fact that I had long conversations with myself about drinking bottles of water. #4 Always include pictures so your significant other will be pleased.

Cheers,
Up in the Air

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers