Friday, April 20, 2012

Is there a right way to change the runway?

I'm stubborn...very stubborn.


I flew into a non-towered airport today with two runways. It was mid-morning, so the wind had shifted at some point from calm to out of the south. The runways were 10/28, 18/36. Winds shifting between 170 and 200 at 6-7 knots. There were a couple other airplanes in the pattern for 1-0, and I imagine they had been there for the past hour or so since they were using that runway. And here I come, out of the Northeast, looking to set my struggling student up with the fewest worries. No tower, calmer winds, and so on. We set up the way we should for runway 1-8, calling inbound, saying our intentions to cross mid-field and enter back on a right 45.

One of the instructors already there jumps on and tells me "a couple aircraft are already using 1-0".

What do I do? Of course this had to be on an off-day, a day I'm not in the greatest of moods (a whole blog could be made into why no one should fly in a bad mood!)...So I reply "Winds are at 1-8-0, at 7 knots, I'm trying to switch it up to the more favorable runway"...and I bluntly add in, "go back to [insert home airport here] airport and get your crosswind practice there!" Shouldn't have said that, I know, but again...not off to a great start for the day.

"The wind is barely noticeable, you'll be okay."

Now we're attacking my skills? "Just trying to teach my student right, trying to use the right runway."

Eventually the couple of planes switched over and continued on as if nothing happened.

So I have a question today...did I take the right action?

I could have easily entered the pattern for runway 1-0 and dealt with the light crosswind/tailwind and gone on with the day. But at what point do we say there needs to be a change? Winds were forecast to be out of the south for the entire day, so at what point does someone finally say "let's make a change!"

Whether my actions were right or wrong (disclaimer: I'm still learning, as everyone should be, especially when it comes to flying!), should someone be met with an angry voice on the other side of the mic? Is that really constructive? I guess with every "family" there are going to be confrontations, I'm just sad to hear it when everyone is learning. My student, his student, everyone.

I've had the reverse happen to me. Being at an airport, winds changing, and someone else coming in and changing to the new runway. It's inconvenient, yes, but since when is an inconvenience a bad thing in aviation? Only when you don't accommodate for it?

Please, opinions are welcome, I'm open to new or better ways to handle situations! We are only able to make decisions to the extent of our experience, training, and the experience of others!

And to brighten my day (and hopefully yours), here's a photo that I added to my Instagram account (took it off the coast of Florida). I just discovered Instagram, and I'm going to sound like an advertiser here but it's pretty much amazing. Share photos, search and browse through other's photos - My excitement will probably wear off, after all I did just learn about it yesterday! :)



To more learning experiences!

Up in the Air

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers